We thought we would address an issue that is not often tackled – How artists *should* submit their music when contacting any website or blog.
One of the main problems that independent artists face is not knowing many of the unspoken rules within the industry. As we recognise that there is so much unsigned talent that may not have easy access to this information; aStepFWD will be starting a series of posts on how artists can successfully represent themselves.
Every single day here at aStepFWD, we get submissions from a range of artists across the UK. Despite the best efforts of some, it is still clear that many do not know how to put together a professional press release for their single/EP/album.
As a general template, all press releases should include the following:
- A Headline
– highlighting the main news point, and specifying whether its for immediate release or embargoed for release until [what date?].
- An Introduction.
– What, When, Who (bio), Where, Why? Make sure you make it stands out and draws the reader in!
– How do we know? Provide credibility!
– Why is this story significant? Tell the the reader why they should feature your release!
– Don’t make the blog go looking for what you have right in front of you! Provide links to your music/ video or whatever you are releasing.
– Social media pages, email addresses, contact numbers etc. all make it much easier for the reader to find you!
– High resolution images are always preferable, but photo’s of your self AND artwork are essential.
All of these things make a press release much more meaningful to the recipient, and can make the difference between getting published or not!
Below, you will be able to see a real life example of a press release – which happens to be Faith Child’s own for his latest album ‘Airborne’! All the features of a successful press release are featured.
If you want to see another example of a Press Release, you can view Ed Sheeran’s HERE.
There is also plenty of information on the internet so please take the time to do some more research if needed and feel free to get in touch with us.
In the meantime we look forward to seeing some good information about some great releases, to share with our readers!
Josh de Thierry
aStepFWD Music Researcher